Me and my gorgeous baby

Me and my gorgeous baby
Perhaps the only barefaced pic of me that will ever grace the internet

Tuesday 9 October 2012

Baby feeding isn't a contest!

Up until now, I've been pretty open about the fact that I breast feed my baby, but haven't publicly discussed my opinions or problems that I've experienced much.
Discussing breast feeding is a double-edged sword- it's important to discuss it and stop it from becoming a taboo subject, but be too pro-breast feeding and you get accused of being part of the 'Breastapo' or trying to guilt-trip bottle feeding mums. Why can't we just freely discuss feeding our babies without negative feedback?!
I'm part of several breast feeding support groups on Facebook, but some of the comments made by other breast feeding mums seem like they're trying to make mums feel guilty if they have to supplement with formula or have to start weaning earlier than they planned.
I got a LOT of opinions and criticism when I had to start giving Isabella solids at 4 months,but none of them were actually from breast feeders who had the experience that I did of being stuck for an hour with a baby on your boob a dozen times a day. This leads me to believe that these advocates didn't exclusively breast feed quiiiiiiite as long as they're making out!
Of course I believe that breast feeding is best for MY baby, but it doesn't mean that I'm frowning on other mums who either can't breast feed or choose not to for their personal reasons. That being said, I think that not breast feeding for a self-centred reason, eg thinking that it makes your boobs go saggy, is wrong. I have a mummy friend who couldn't breast feed due to tongue-tie, then her supply didn't come through because she didn't have the first few important days and a girl we know (who's not a mum, BTW) had the brass nerve to stand IN  HER HOUSE and have a go at her for not breast feeding and demanded that she tried it there and then. What happened to us women being supportive of each other?!
At the same time, I sometimes feel that I can't be vocal about how proud I am of myself. Most women in the UK will give up breast feeding by 6 weeks, but I'm still going strong at 7 months AND my baby as 2 teeth that she's started to use- ouchy!
Maybe if all of us women, mums and non-mums alike are supportive and less critical about each other, we can discuss the choices that we have made for our babies more freely without having to tread on eggshells.

No comments:

Post a Comment