Me and my gorgeous baby

Me and my gorgeous baby
Perhaps the only barefaced pic of me that will ever grace the internet

Sunday 27 May 2012

5 Things that I can no longer live without!

Before I got pregnant, I couldn't live without my vast nailvarnish collection, booze and Starbucks. Now that I am a mummy, I have some new essentials.


  1. Babywipes. Fastest way to clean baby's bum (they used to use just cotton wool and water when I was a baby, I don't know how they coped!) plus handy for sticky/slimey/dribbly bits elsewhere on baby and your furniture! Plus you can use them on yourself when you're too tired to properly clean your face before bed and freshening up when it's hot. I buy them in bulk and get a bit of a cold sweat when they run low.
  2. The Internet. I thought that I couldn't live without the web before. I was wrong. When Isabella was 3 days old, she got the hiccups for the first time outside the womb at 1.30 in the morning. She was getting stressed out, the OH was as useful as a chocolate teapot and suggesting that we hold her nose and I was contemplating whether or not it was too late to call my mum. Enter the internet, like a gallant knight in shining armour! We followed BabyCentre's advice to lay her on one of our chests and breathe deeply, 5 minutes later and the hiccups were gone! Plus, it's a good source of entertainment when I'm doing a marathon breastfeed.
  3. Antibacterial gel. Now, I am in now way whatsoever a neat freak. I am, however, paranoid about Isabella picking up bugs whilst her immune system is so immature. I think I use the steraliser about 3 times a day and I'm constantly using Soap&Glory's Hand Maid antibacterial gel. It makes me feel slightly calmer and saner. Each to their own!
  4. Biscuits. Simply because breastfeeding makes me insanely ravenous and sometimes I don't have time to have a proper meal. I sometimes joke that I'm on the hobnob diet because I sometimes end up just eating a couple of biscuits instead of lunch. Not the healthiest habit in the world, but what the hey?! I'll improve once Isabella is less demanding. Plus there is no way in Hell that I could have survived the first week and a half without decent snackage because I was up all night and still busy all day.
  5. The babygym. I swear, if I didn't have this, I wouldn't get anything done at all. Isabella won't sit in her bouncy chair without trying to make a break for it and the BabyBjorn is good, but there's a limit to how much you can do with a baby strapped to your chest. So now, I put Isabella in her babygym in the same room as me when I really REALLY need to do something, eg hang out washing or clean bottles. I should really use that time to cook myself something healthy, but nowadays baby comes first and unfortunately there's an endless stream of poo stained vests, used bottles and dirty nappies. The joy of motherhood!
There's probably more stuff, but it's quarter past 1 in the morning and Isabella has been waking up around 5am as of late so I should probably get some sleep.
TTFN xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment