Me and my gorgeous baby

Me and my gorgeous baby
Perhaps the only barefaced pic of me that will ever grace the internet

Tuesday 26 June 2012

My baby is on solids!!!

I'm back after a little break! Isabella and I have been at my mum's house near the seaside for the last week and have just come back with about 30 new items of clothing for Isabella.
After the baby rice disaster, I decided to try Isabella on solids again. She burps for Grandma, she goes to sleep for Grandma, so I figured she might take solids for Grandma. This time, however, instead of naffing about with bland, mushy baby rice, we tried sweet potato and squash baby food instead. She loooooooooved it. Seriously, I couldn't get the stuff into her mouth quick enough! Over the week, I tried her with banana, parnips and blueberry and apple and have deduced that she hates parsnips but, so far, likes everything else. She decided on her second parsnip day that she liked them for about 4 mouthfuls, then she got stroppy again.
Here's some things that I've discovered about weaning-

  1. I seriously underestimated the amount of mess that they can make. Considering I was only giving her a couple of dollops at a time, when you factor in arm-waving, dribble and a fairly clumsy mummy, baby food gets pretty much everywhere. Isabella managed to get some sweet potato in her eyelashes, on her forehead and right down the side of her chair.
  2. Babies are fussy. I didn't even entertain this notion and for some reason thought that they didn't become picky eaters until they were toddlers. Not my diva-baby! My mum and I's new in-joke is telling Isabella that I'll give her parsnip again if she misbehaves. I've only got a few dozen or so more foods to try her on and then try again if she doesn't like them the first time round. I don't know what I'll do if I can't get her to eat lentils or beans or tofu or quorn when the time comes as I'm planning on raising her vegetarian like me. 
  3. The poo changes really quickly! I seem to constantly talk about poo now that I'm a mummy, but even on a couple of dollops twice a day, Isabella's poo has completely changed colour, consistency and smell. It didn't smell that bad before and normally smelt quite sweet. Now, it smells rank and I can't not give her solids now that we've started down this path just because it gives her a stinky bum. Or can I?......Nah, solids are kind of fun in a weird way.
We have 2 more days or the blueberry and apple baby food, then we're on to either carrot and potato or cheesy spinach. In a strange way, I'll be a bit gutted if she doesn't like spinach because in a couple of months, I'm going to start pureeing whatever I'm eating and I really love spinach. Then what if she never likes spinach or other vegetables that I really like? I can't face years of having to coax her into eating her greens or giving in and cooking 2 different dinners.
I'm going to get a bit of kip before she wakes up for her 4am feed. I miss her sleeping through the night more than words can say! At least I got 7 weeks of her sleeping through and not having to wake up at a Godforsaken hour to feed her.
TTFN x

No comments:

Post a Comment