Me and my gorgeous baby

Me and my gorgeous baby
Perhaps the only barefaced pic of me that will ever grace the internet

Wednesday 9 January 2013

I don't know who cried more!

So, I decided to give self-soothing another go and stick at it. I need to get Isabella out of the habit of feeding to sleep because I want to stop breast feeding soon. Lots of mums probably started months ago, but I wanted to make sure that we were both ready!
Little tip to any mums out there reading this, make sure that your partner is with you (mine was out, rookie mistake!) or a close friend and don't do it when you're going through a period of not drinking. I'm doing the dryathalon for CRUK at the moment and am still gagging for a glass of wine after this evening!
Basically, Isabella's never been a good sleeper. She screams like she's being murdered if you put her in her cot, doesn't want to nap, takes ages to calm down and is a tiny (read:extremely) clingy. I was told since day one to put her down whilst she's still awake, which of course with her has never worked. She was still awake after her bedtime routine and last feed, so I though "oo here's my chance" after a few unsuccessful attempts in the last week. Unsurprisingly, she wasn't impressed. Thus followed 2 hours and 40 minutes of picking up and putting down, trying to give her a dummy (which she normally likes, I can't leave dummies within her reach normally cos she'll grab them and use them whether she needs them or not. I'm sure she's got an oral fixation....), blood-curdling screams, Stereo Hearts by Gym Class Heroes feat.Adam Levigne repeatedly, begging, pleading, a half dose of calpol and a lot of tears from both of us.
Luckily, my friend Vikki was on Facebook chat the whole time. She taught her baby to self-soothe just after her first birthday so she was coaching me through and helping to preserve my sanity.
I'm really hoping that tomorrow evening doesn't take this long, otherwise I might put myself up for adoption. In other news, I've started to plan Isabella's very first birthday party, yay! It's a bit early notice as her birthday isn't for another 6 and a half weeks, but I'm determined that it will be perfect! We're having a Disney Princess theme, Vikki is making princess-themed pink and purple cupcakes and a castle shaped cake, all the food and drink will be pink and I'm planning games like "stick the horn on the unicorn" and a treasure hunt. I've also asked all the guests, including the grown-ups to wear tiaras. It's gonna be so fricking girly that we'll poo rainbows!
TTFN x

No comments:

Post a Comment